Love news and public radio? Be a part of an innovative voice in Southern California digital journalism!
We’re on a mission
At KPCC, we are on a mission to redefine how public service journalism can serve a diverse metropolis. KPCC is part of Southern California Public Radio, a member-supported public media organization that operates several radio stations in and around Los Angeles, and is rapidly growing its digital news platforms. We reach more than 700,000 listeners every week-- the second-largest public radio audience in the nation-- and our audience is growing. We broadcast lots of award-winning local coverage and programs, as well as the best NPR content.
Do work that matters
As part of a small team of developers and designers, your work will have a positive impact on hundreds of thousands of California residents who rely on KPCC for their news, and will make a mark on the landscape of local news and public media. You’ll get to partner with the newsroom to build the tools and systems that help efficiently deliver vital news and information, and work on building digital editorial products that bring clarity and insight to the issues that affect Los Angeles and its diverse communities.
- Build new products that delight our loyal audience, helping to inform and inspire Southern Californians
- Build custom editorial tools and CMS products to support an efficient 21st century newsroom
- Be part of team of developers who want to love the tools they use, and who are continually improving their practices and processes
- Build and scale KPCC’s infrastructure to meet growing audience demand
- Familiar with our tech stack (Ruby, Rails, Rspec, Capistrano, Resque, Git, MySQL, Redis, CoffeeScript, SASS)
- A believer in test-driven development
- Interested in all aspects of application development and systems engineering
- Someone who enjoys being a part of a small, agile development team
- Someone who thrives at nearly any level of the application development stack
- Excited about learning new things, and always up for a challenge
- A clear thinker and communicator who loves tackling tough problems
- Experience with Redis and/or MongoDB
- Experience with version control and application deployment (Git, Capistrano)
- Experience publishing and consuming APIs using REST/JSON
- At least played around with automation tools like Puppet or Chef
- Good ideas, strong opinions, a collaborative attitude and strong work ethic
You’re extra awesome if you:
- Have built apps using Node.js or Backbone.js
- Have experience maintaining, customizing and extending content management systems
- Have experience building and scaling robust streaming media systems
- Helped a dev team implement Jenkins, Travis-CI or similar CI tool
- Love pouring through New Relic graphs to find ways to improve performance
- Have experience with UNIX (Ubuntu or CentOS distributions)
- Are passionate about the news business, and digital journalism in particular
Why you’ll love it here
You’ll come in every day and work on meaningful challenges and interesting apps with a crew of smart, friendly, creative people. You’ll get to work in a small, fast-moving team that is focused on making a small number of products the absolute best they can be. You’ll get to work from the Mohn Broadcast Center, our beautiful office in the heart of sunny Pasadena, CA. We offer competitive benefits and salary, and support a diverse and inclusive work environment.