The American Physical Society, a leading publisher of scientific journals, based in Suffolk County, LI, (LIE exit 68 - near Brookhaven National Laboratory) seeks a software developer. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a small team that is responsible for building dynamic web applications for scholarly publishing. The developer is expected to have a strong web development background with the ability to work across all tiers of an application (backend, front-end, API layer, etc.).
You will be working with a team of talented and forward-thinking developers and designers to implement the latest web technologies. We’re a group who happily share knowledge, value other ideas, while working in a bright, modern office with a friendly atmosphere and flat hierarchies.
We will challenge you with really interesting work while providing you with a collaborative culture in a fast paced environment. Our staff is encouraged to attend industry conferences and we are constantly playing with new tools and use all the latest and greatest technologies, affording you the capability to impact all aspects of your projects.
You must have excellent English communication skills, be a team player and be results oriented. You can think through and provide solutions to problems, not just follow orders.
Other incentives for working at APS are great pay, great benefits, generous 403(b), and 3 weeks paid vacation.
* Experience with full lifecycle development in a modern dynamic language (Ruby, Python).
* Ability to create modular, object oriented code that is clear, maintainable and utilizes design patterns and other best practices.
* Strong unix skills (Linux/FreeBSD/Mac OS X preferred).
* Strong data modeling and database skills including experience with an RDBMS (MySQL preferred) as well as NoSQL data stores (MongoDB, Redis, Riak, HBase, etc.).
* Experience with agile development methodologies including rapid prototyping, test driven development (TDD, BDD), continuous integration, etc.
* Experience building dynamic websites with frameworks such as Rails, sinatra, Django, etc.
* Experience designing and implementing API's and service components using REST, RPC, messaging, etc.
* Experience configuring web servers and application deployment environments (Apache httpd, nginx, Tomcat, Capistrano, etc.).
* Knowledge of HTML/CSS templating with HAML, Compass/SASS, Less, or similar frameworks.
* Experience with XML, XSLT, XPath.
* Experience with Hadoop and related technologies (HBase, Pig, Hive, Flume, etc.).
* Some experience with semantic web standards and related tools.
* Experience with a variety of programming languages and methods, e.g. java, lisp